Hard Hats, Hammers and Hallelujahs seemed to be the perfect title for this year’s MusicFest, because the contractor is working hard on many renovation projects at our church.
On Sunday, April 27, 2014 the singers and ringers of St. John’s marched into the Sanctuary wearing colourful Hard Hats, Safety Vests or Caution Tape! The program included an amazing selection of tunes – from Bob the Builder and If I Had a Hammer – to Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah and the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel’s Messiah.
Everyone had fun, which is important, but the best part of all is how our music affects others. Proceeds from MusicFest support the Handbell and Handchime programs … and so much more. This year, we were able to give support to:
- St. John’s to help with the building renovation.
- Sleeping Children Around the World
- This year we purchased 20 Bedkits, which makes a total of 250 Bedkits over the years. That means 250 children are sleeping better because of MusicFest.
- The yearly support of our Foster Child in Israel with World Vision.
- Aurora United Church
- On Friday, April 11, Aurora United Church suffered the devastating loss of their church building to a fire. Four days after the fire, the Handbells and Chimes were found in the rubble. The good news was that the bells were in amazingly good condition. Perhaps even more amazing though is that this church has been overwhelmed by offers of support from Handbell Choirs all over Ontario. Uniting together, our hope is that the bells will be sent for some much needed TLC and that Aurora United Church will be ringing their bells again in the fall.
Treasurer – St. John’s Handbell Choir