Scheduled to start in the week of September 17, St. John’s is launching new offerings of the acclaimed “Apprentice” life study courses. These courses are for people who have a grounding in the Christian faith, and are ready to grow their faith through study, discussion, and practices that can be applied in daily living.
Based on the “Apprentice” series of books by James Bryan Smith, this set of three courses helps you deepen your understanding and strengthen your spiritual discipline. With the guidance of clergy and lay leadership, you combine study and discussion of Christian teachings with spiritual practices to apply in daily life.
The three courses of the Apprentice series are:
- The Good and Beautiful God – What is God’s nature and what is his role in our lives?
- The Good and Beautiful Life – How can we live in a way that is God-centred and experience the warmth of His love for us?
- The Good and Beautiful Community – How do we nurture healthy, vibrant, and supportive communities?
Each course runs for about ten weekly or bi-weekly sessions, has a textbook, and successive courses builds on the ones before. There is homework – for each session, you should read the relevant chapter from the Apprentice book and try the included soul-training exercise.
Sessions being offered this fall are:
- Good and Beautiful God – Wednesday evenings from 7 to 9:15 p.m., starting Sept. 20 at St. Leonard’s church, hosted by Rev. Tim.
- Good and Beautiful Life – Wednesday evenings from 7 to 9:15 p.m, starting Sept. 20 at St. John’s church, hosted by Paul Heersink.
- Good and Beautiful Life – Monday afternoons from 12:30 to 3 p.m., starting Sept 25 and running every second week at St. John’s church, hosted by Deacon Catherine.
- Good and Beautiful Community – Wednesday evenings from 7 to 9:15 p.m., starting Sept. 20 at St. John’s church, hosted by Rev. Drew.
For more information please contact the church office or talk to any clergy member. To register, please use the sign-up sheets on the foyer or call the church office at 416-225-6611.