An Opportunity for Everyone to Participate
in Remembering our History
and in Building for the Future.
As of April 1, 2014, the renovation of the front areas of the church is proceeding smoothly, on budget and on time behind the orange door. Phase Two, the foyer, sanctuary, narthex and outdoor patio, will be starting in early May, right after Musicfest.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who contributed to the Our Faith Our Hope campaign, without which the renovation would not be happening. Your generosity has allowed the diocese to return a good portion of those funds for the renewal of our almost two hundred year-old church building.
It’s all about our stewardship.
Your Opportunity to Give a Gift to the SJYM 20014 Renewal
As we proceed through the phases of the work, we are constantly finding possibilities for upgrading the infrastructure while the work is underway. Extra funds for these many improvements would certainly be appreciated. Although we are staying strictly within budget, there are also items that have been budgeted for but which would be greatly enhanced by additional funds. For a partial list of those items, please see below. It’s all about our renewal.
Memorial Book — A Time Capsule for the Future
In order to help make a record of the process and record your donations as well, your Wardens are proposing that we prepare a large Memorial Book focusing on what was accomplished in 2014. It would contain photos, (pre-, during and post-reno photos) and records of the project, as well as list all the donors who have given a gift to help with the renovations. We hope everyone will get involved.
Additionally, each parishioner donating over $100 will be offered their own page in the book, which could contain photos and information about you and your family’s history at St. John’s, as well as what part of the renewal you contributed to and why. You could note the year you began attending, family baptisms, weddings, funerals, celebrations and the activities/groups you were involved in. You could also talk about what St. John’s has meant to you and your family over the years.
The Memorial Book will be displayed in the foyer through the anniversary year of 2016, after which it will take its place in the new secure archives room of St. John’s York Mills.
Think of the Renewal 2014 Memorial Book as a time capsule for the future.
How to Participate
If you would like to give a gift to the Renewal 2014, you may do so simply by writing a cheque to St. John’s York Mills and marking on it and the envelope: Reno or Renewal 2014. Your name will automatically be recorded for inclusion in the book. If you donate $100 or more, you will be offered a page to share your thoughts in the Memorial Book.
If you would like to donate to a specific project, you could send an inquiry email to the co-ordinator of the design committee, Sylvia McConnell (firstname.lastname@example.org) or speak with Catherine Bryant in the office to find out what the possibilities are.
Get involved in Renewal 2014. Give your gift now and be part of the time capsule at St. John’s York Mills.
Specific Examples of Areas of Enhancement or Upgrading
- Important repair work to the organ and possibly the sanctuary piano — not originally budgeted for but which should be done while those instruments are not in use during Phase II and before we move into our newly refurbished sanctuary in September.
- Repurposing of the pulpit and lectern for use in the foyer and baptismal area.
- Extending the sound system into the new Garnsworthy Room.
- Comfy chairs for the crying room which will be set up in the narthex.
- Flexible yet sturdy furniture for the new Garnsworthy Room.
- Good quality appliances for the kitchen.
- Refinishing of heritage pieces belonging to St. John’s which currently are not in use, such as the Seneca Ketchum desk, but which could be used in the upgraded south extension rooms.
- Addition of phone jacks and data jacks to the Bovey Room and the Tully Room.
- New shelving for the new archives room.
- Year-round patio furniture for the new patio.
As accurate costs become available for these items, they will be posted on the site.